Old September 7th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
acl

Default FA: Canon EOS 5D

On Sep 7, 4:01 am, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
According to acl :

[ ... ]

I cycle at least 10-15km every day
with the camera hanging from its strap on my side, and it's happened
that I popped it up by mistake without realising it. It also happened
once while putting it in a bag.

Hmm ... The Nikon D70 at least will not pop up the flash unless
the camera is turned on. The actual latch is controlled by a solenoid,
not directly by the button.

And as long as you stay out of "Auto" mode, it won't pop up on
its own when you try to take a shot. Every once in a while, the knob
rubs on something and when I start to press the shutter release I will
hear it pop up, and will immediately shove it back down, and turn back
to "Program" It will also pop up in some of the "special" modes, which I
never use, but never in Program, Aperture, Shutter, or full Manual. In
any of those modes, you have to reach forward and hit the button on the
left side of the prism housing.

Well, in the D200, it's mechanical, so it can pop up even with the
camera off. Anyway, sometimes I leave the switch to on, since the
camera goes to sleep by itself. I don't know if it pops up by itself
in program, but I suspect not (as I said, it's mechanical: you can see
the latch moving if you press the button with the flash up).