Old October 16th 14, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

Default Shoot out: Smart phone vs Canon EOS 5D Mark III

On 10/13/2014 6:28 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:41:07 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

For that very reason, jprior to my retirement, I used to wear only
custom made shirts cost over $299, each. I only rotated fifteen of them,
and they all had french cuffs. I had cut make and trim suits, which were
fine. All of my ties were custom made and matched my suspenders. These
were also expensive, but like other things i life, presentation counts.
Now I were cheap slacks, Am down to one suit and two tuxedos. I will
admit that my casual shirts are decent quality, but they fit me better.

in other words, you tried to impress people with the price tag of your
shirt than your skills (or lack thereof).

Hey geniuys, you need to get the retainer, first. Oh! I forgot, you know
nothing about business. You don't get retained by a Fortune 500 company,
or some of the largest privately owned copanies in the world if you show
up looking like a slob. You get the invitation to a retainer conference
based upon proven ability.

nobody said anything about showing up looking like a slob, but when
someone brags about the price of their shirt rather than their skills
or accomplishments, it's clear that they have very little to offer
beyond appearance.

i know an ip attorney who has never lost a single case including
against microsoft. *that* is how he gets clients, not who makes his
clothes.

The clothes you wear are to some extent linked to your clients.

If you get your work from the upper strata of the business world you
should dress as though you belong there.

If you get your work on a contingency fee basis from the hoi polloi
you will still need to appear successful but not so expensively
successful as to scare off your would-be clients.

There are different thoughts on that. I wanted clients who wold figure
my fees were at the upper end. It wasn't just the money. Those clients
who paid higher fees were easier to deal with. Those who didn't pay,
were usually real PIAs who would waste a lot of time. When clients were
paying my fees, they tended to stick to business.

--
PeterN