Old September 30th 04, 01:23 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Bart van der Wolf" wrote:
"TRR" wrote:

After the techies resolve this argument I submit the quality of your
printer makes it all moot. Not much has been said here in that

regard.

That just depends on output size. If the image magnification is high
enough, the output medium will outresolve the image.

Exactly. FWIW, current A4 inkjets are _way_ ahead of 6MP digital at A4 (8.25
x 11.5), so if you like detail in your images, there's still room for
improvement in the cameras. (The Epson R800 is very nice.)

In earlier tests at A4 with the Epson 960, I found that my 645 scans provide
more detail than the 960 could render, but that the 960 could render
everything recorded in the 1Ds samples I downloaded. So you need at least
11MP for A4. (If you're as greedy as I.)

(Note that this question ("how _well_ can I print?") is a rather different
question from the usual "how _big_ can I print?". The latter question
invariably turns into a competition over who has the lowest standards almost
immediately.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan