Old April 23rd 17, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Film scanners?

rOn Sat, 22 Apr 2017 08:26:21 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-04-22 08:21:29 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

I wouldn't argue with any of that but this guy is saying that it must
be done in the camera or not at all.

Agreed.
That is a silly position to take, particularly since most shooters are
looking for more than SOOC Acros simulations. I am.

My point is that if the processor in the camera can do it then a
processor outside the camera can do it
equally well.

One would think that, and I have been trying to do that ever since the
Fuji PR machine hyped the Acros in-camera simulation with the release
of the X-Pro2, with the X-Trans III sensor and the new X-Processor Pro.
My X-E2 does not have said processor, so I was only able to work with
the in-camera Acros simulation once I got my X-T2. Up until then I got
some pretty good results using Exposure X2, Tonality Pro, and NIK
Silver Efex Pro.

The Camera profiles in LR are camera specific, so Acros was not
available for the X-E2 in LR. It is for the X-T2, so I have only been
able to make that comparison over the last 10 days. The best of the
third party emulations has been Exposure X2. However, when compared
with the X-T2 SOOC rendering, there is a palpable difference which I
have not been able to match, and even though I say so myself, I am not
totally incapable when it comes to working with the software available
to me. While the differences are subtle, I have yet to manage a tweak
in any software to match the X-T2 SOOC in-camera Acros.

I am sure that nospam, and perhaps even you could show me just how to
do it, but I don't see you buying an X-series camera anytime soon, and
I don't anticipate nospam showing us any results.

I don't have to know how to do it to know that it is possible.

All it needs is the right programming.

...and that might well be where the difference lies since Fujifilm is
using a proprietary processor and proprietary algorithm. It is one of
their films after all.

So the only reason that it isn't being done outside the camera is that
nobody knows the algorithm. I am willing to bet that long before
either the hardware or the software of the XT-2 was finalised Fuji was
running simulations on some kind of external computer. If I am correct
that alone would falsify the original statement to which I have taken
exception.

Eric Stevens