Old April 22nd 17, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Film scanners?

On 2017-04-22 03:55:32 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 18:05:19 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-04-22 00:54:35 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

http://www.hendriximages.com/blog/20...-go-acros-the-
de
finitive-review

The article contains the statement that:

"The fact that no external RAW converter can achieve a similar
analogue film-like look ... ".

I must agree with what nospam will probably say. If it can be done in
the camera it clearly can be done in an external computer. The fact
that the author of that article doesn't know how is irrelevant.

as i said elsewhere, it's his own limitation, not that of digital.

He isn't shooting film. He is shooting digital and leaving the
processing to the camera.
http://tavphotography.com/acros-vs-acros-film-vs-digital/

it's still his own limitation.

just because *he* can't do it doesn't mean it's not possible.

all he needs to do is match what's done in the camera and the results
will be identical.

Yeah. That's all he needs to do.

But it is silly to claim that the digital adjustments can't be made
outside the camera.

There is no claim that the digital adjustments can't be made outside
the camera. However, Fujifilm uses the X-Processor Pro and proprietary
algorithms to achieve their very good Acros rendition in-camera. You
can certainly produce similar results in Lightroom and Exposure X2 from
the RAF files, but compared with what Fujifilm is able to do digitally
simulating their own film they don't quite match up. Very close but not
quite there. The in-camera grain rendering is of a different quality to
the simulated grain produced in Lightroom, Exposure X2, Tonality Pro2,
On1 Photo RAW, or NIK Silver Efex Pro2.

As much as I have tried to match the Fujifilm Acros simulation with the
others, they remain different to the Fujifilm in-camera rendition, and
some are not even close. It has to be seen to be appreciated. As far as
any of the color variations go, I stick to my normal LR+PS workflow and
my current preferred plug-in, Exposure X2.

I know I must be sounding somewhat like a Fujimaniac these days, but I
am more and more impressed with the X-series cameras and the quality of
the Fujinon glass. More importantly I don't miss shooting a DSLR at all.

Savageduck