Old June 2nd 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
C J Campbell[_2_]

Default Anyone remembers those old soft and hard camera cases?

On 2009-06-01 02:43:11 -0700, Michael J Davis said:

C J Campbell was inspired to say

But if you want one, most manufacturers still make them for their
consumer cameras. You just have to order it. If you have a pro type
camera, forget getting one from the manufacturer. You will have to go
to some third party supplier.

Much more popular are belt pouches and holster systems, which offer
better protection and faster accessibility.

But too easy to sit on, with the consequences of damage to vital parts!

Mike

Snork

Which is why I use a Blackrapid R strap if carrying just one body. This
strap can also be screwed into the tripod mount of a long lens, making
it much more comfortable to carry.

http://www.blackrapid.com/

If carrying two, I use a CameraSlingers Duel Deluxe strap, though I may
get the Blackrapid RS DR-1 double strap when it comes out. The
Blackrapid straps are much higher quality.

http://www.cameraslingers.net/

I have run into two problems with these straps:

1) The strap mount must be entirely removed if the camera is to be used
on a monopod or tripod.

2) When removing the CameraSlingers strap from your shoulders, it is
very easy to slam a camera with a long lens into the ground. Best to
unclip the cameras from the strap first. I can see this being a problem
with the Blackrapid double strap, too.

There is a third problem with dual straps -- they look like a manzierre
or some fool thing. And it looks like you are wearing it backwards, on
the outside of your clothes. As if we do not have problems with people
thinking we are all pervs anyway.

And the straps do scratch furniture.

--
Waddling Eagle