Old June 28th 12, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Apteryx

Default Dpreview's Nikon D300 forum dead as a door nail

On 28/06/2012 4:45 p.m., Me wrote:
On 28/06/2012 3:40 p.m., Rich wrote:
Me wrote in :

On 27/06/2012 1:48 p.m., RichA wrote:
They better release the D400 soon....

Quite seriously, perhaps they won't.
If the D600 is around $2k (possible) and capable of high burst speed

(ie
higher than the D800), then there will probably be only a few

determined
pro/semi pro shooters in need of both a top-class AF system and high
burst rate in DX format, prepared to pay close to $2k for the

privilege.
I rather hope that a "D400" might be a bombshell, like the D3, D300,

and
D800/E have been when released.

The only way that would happen is with a radically new body or something
crazy, like a 40mp DX sensor. Maybe I'm thinking small, but what can
they do with a DX camera above and beyond the D300 that would be that
radical?

Interchangeable prism and EVF, with on-sensor CD AF system for EVF/LV
modes with the mirror locked up, switching back to the 51 point CDAF
system when the prism is fitted.

Assuming you mean a hybrid viewfinder like the Fuji X100 and X Pro 1
(except that the OFV would be utilising the prism, mirror, and lens)
rather than a detachable prism head to be replaceable with an EVF head,
I agree.

And the AF system should be an enhanced version of the hybrid system of
the System 1 cameras, with on sensor PD AF as well as CD AF (enhanced
sufficiently that you would only need to use CD AF for accuracy, not as
in the Series 1 cameras for low light).

Whether that is this year though, I don't know.

Apteryx