Old January 15th 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Howard Lester[_3_]

Default No need to know anything..

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Not quite -- The Optical Sciences Center (now the Meinel Optical
Sciences Center) is across the "mall" from the Gerard P. Kuiper Space
Sciences Center, formerly the Lunar and Planetary Lab, aka the "Looney
Lab." :-)

Oops, my bad; after all, this is memory going back, lessee, 40 years.

I believe all this is near the Flandreau Planetarium, no? (Named after
Grace, right?)

It is just east of the [Grace H.] Flandrau, yes. It, too, had a name change:
it's now Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium. I think everything around
there's had a name change! (But I had to look that one up!) Good memory,
David. The campus has grown a lot since you were there.

BTW, I have had the pleasure meeting John Schaefer, including borrowing a
couple of his large format lenses for a photo shoot he was involved in. He
was responsible for establishing the Center of Creative Photography, as has
already been cited, and influenced Ansel Adams to donate his negatives and
prints (not all, I am sure). The Center was originally in a vacated bank
building on University and Tyndall, west of campus. It was there I got to
see some of AA's prints without glass in front of them. Pretty spectacular.
A few years later the huge campus building was constructed to house the
archives of many photographers, and to provide a sizeable photography
library and a full gallery. I spent a fair number of "lunch hours" over
there.

Howard
former Tucsonan