Old June 24th 13, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default Seeing Red

"nospam" wrote in message ...

In article , Dudley
Hanks wrote:

A few days ago, I was playing around with the custom white balance feature
on my XSi, trying to come up with something that worked under streetlights
at night.

When I was done, I forgot to set the white balance back to auto from
custom.

Then, I took a few pics of a local bridge yesterday, in the evening, and
still did not set the white balance back to auto, nor did I set another
custom balance for the prevailing light conditions.

Needless to say, viewing the pic with the white balance as shot yields a
rather strong colour cast. But, it was my understanding that this is an
easy fix in Adobe.

However, when I loaded the pic into Adobe's Camera RAW and tried to select
more appropriate balance, like sunny or cloudy, the image ends up with a
rather crazy red cast.

Even manually moving the temperature and tint sliders around doesn't seem
get rid of the problem, or so I've been told.

Just wondering if any of you gurus out there can determine whether this is
camera problem, an Adobe problem, or just some kind of freak one-off
problem...

Here's the RAW image: http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/TestPic.cr2

i opened it in camera raw, picked auto for a white balance and it looks
normal. there is no red cast, the grass is green and it looks quite
acceptable.

choosing the cloudy preset looks even better. adjusting it further can
make it a little better but at that point the difference is minor and a
matter of taste anyway.

that's the beauty of raw. you can white balance *after* you take the
photo. the white balance set in the camera does not matter.

Argh, the joys of working with Adobe through the eyes of others...

As it turns out, somehow the clipping warning was turned on, and the "red
colour cast" was just Adobe's way of telling me where the clipping is.

Thanks for helping me straighten that out.

Take Care,
Dudley