Old June 24th 13, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Seeing Red

On 2013-06-23 16:39:42 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" said:

A few days ago, I was playing around with the custom white balance
feature on my XSi, trying to come up with something that worked under
streetlights at night.

When I was done, I forgot to set the white balance back to auto from custom.

Then, I took a few pics of a local bridge yesterday, in the evening,
and still did not set the white balance back to auto, nor did I set
another custom balance for the prevailing light conditions.

However, you did shoot RAW didn't you?

Needless to say, viewing the pic with the white balance as shot yields
a rather strong colour cast. But, it was my understanding that this is
an easy fix in Adobe.

It is.

However, when I loaded the pic into Adobe's Camera RAW and tried to
select a more appropriate balance, like sunny or cloudy, the image ends
up with a rather crazy red cast.
Even manually moving the temperature and tint sliders around doesn't
seem to get rid of the problem, or so I've been told.

That is exactly what you should have done.
You had the temp set at 2000. Simply moving the temperature slider to
what would be normal for daylight, around 5500 makes the fix.

Just wondering if any of you gurus out there can determine whether this
is a camera problem, an Adobe problem, or just some kind of freak
one-off problem...

No problem at all.

Here's the RAW image: http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/TestPic.cr2

Take Care,