Old June 29th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default morse contact printers

"babelfish" wrote in message
To slow it down for faster paper, one could always add
neutral density filtration between the lamps and the top
glass. Simply putting cut sheets of tissue or even bond
paper below the glass will work.

"Richard Knoppow"
I got one of these guys several years ago cheap
because the owner had broken the upper glass in transit
to a photo sale. I've never used it, there is no longer
any paper slow enough. These were made originally for
printing 10x10 aerial camera negs on slow contact paper
like Azo. The lamps not only switch individually but in
groups of ring shapes to compensate for the fall off from
some wide angle aerial lenses. The civilian version has a
nice stainless steel mask. I am afraid they are now boat
anchors.

N.D. filters may work, provided they are effective for
UV. Most paper has brighteners in it which glow from the UV.
I guess _that_ could also be used as a source. In another
post I made just now, but before reading this, I suggest
replacing the UV lamps with very small nite-lite lamps.
Using ND filters or tissue would then be a practical option.
One can get suitable ND filter material from Roscoe in
large sheets that are not too expensive. It may even be
possible to get material suitable for making variable
contrast filters.
The very nice masking arrangement and ability to dodge by
throwing switches would be handy for LF printing. I may have
a shot at this for my printer.

--
---
Richard Knoppow