Old August 7th 13, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default O/T: Nibbling on an Apple

On 2013.08.06 07:41 , Dudley Hanks wrote:
Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I've taken a small step over
to the dark side: I've picked up an iPad Mini...

Like most Apple devices I've worked with, it seems this one does
nothing extraordinarily well, but it is rather
versatile.

I purchased the device thinking that it would be a nice, portable
audio recording / editing platform, giving me the ability to
record interviews and then do a bit of clean up work regardless
of my location. Ditto for video.

Unfortunately, the memory limitations on these portables leaves
them a bit lacking when it comes to working with large files, as
does the hardware used.

The iPad mini comes with up to 64 GB of memory. If you skimped and
bought the 16 GB v., then it is not Apple to blame but you.

A DVD movie is less than 5 GB and the "digital editions" for portable
devices are far less than that.

Even an HD recording (1080p) would come to less than 10 GB / hour. So
the 64 GB v. of the iPad would give you well over 5 hours of recording
time. At 720 p, about 3X that amount.

--
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,