Old October 20th 05, 05:58 PM
Randy Howard

Default Apple: Aperture not a Photoshop competitor

C Wright wrote
(in article ):

I too use CS2 and Bridge for my editing and image organizing. I also use
Adobe's camera raw to convert my raw images - although calling it the best
raw handling available is a bit extreme.

Sorry if I was too extreme. :-)

Like you, I also dislike iPhoto
forcing me to use its system of organization rather than mine!

Join the club, it's large, so don't expect a low membership id
number.

Having said all of that I think that you are missing the point of Aperture.

That's entirely possible, since I have seen only the Apple
website content about it so far. I did like the comment about
bulk application of photo edits to a series of images shot
together in their demo. That is nice, and will probably show up
elsewhere RSN.

For a busy pro photographer who comes back from a shoot with hundreds of
images it would appear to make comparing, raw editing, and organizing those
images a breeze.

Probably. I had heard rumors in the past that Apple was
developing their own "photoshop clone", just in case Adobe ever
dropped support for the Mac. I wonder if this was really that
product, or if that is still hiding somewhere. Either way, I
would have rather seen Photoshop gain the additional
functionality in CS3 or something, rather than have to buy and
use multiple products, but I suppose the marketing folks at
Apple are looking for reasons to bring people onto the platform,
so it makes sense. If they really wanted to do that though, the
initial pricing for version 1.0 would be $99 instead of $499.

Its automatic backup to an external drive would also take
a lot of the pain out of archiving images.

Sorry, but backing up images to external media is a cake-walk.
I don't need an $$$ app to do that for me.

Some of the third party raw
converters like Capture One and image organizers like iView are going to
have to take serious notice.

You're the second person to mention Capture One, the price tag
before kept me from digging very deeply. Looking again I see
they have an eval version of it available, so I'll check it out.
--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)