Old May 24th 12, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

Default Nikon 70-300 VR lens

On 2012-05-22 16:38:36 -0700, Rob said:

Any thoughts on the Nikon 70-300 VR IF ED lens.

The new AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G ED VR, is a very good value lens
which produces good results, and is a great improvement over the old
non-VR 70-300mm I have the new lens and have owned the old. Here are
some of the images it has produced for me with a D300s:
http://db.tt/zyiTdFvy
http://db.tt/yzx7vAQi
http://db.tt/KXNMS1YS
http://db.tt/Aur6eA0g
http://db.tt/VhVhuttQ

Like the images

How would they go to a 24" wide print?? I have a Epson 7900 printer.

Most reviews gloss over the lens but no real user reports.

Wanting to buy it as a replacement lens but unsure if its any good.

It is very good, but certainly not a 70-200mm VRII at almost 3X the price.

My other option is the Nikon 80-400 but the AF is slow mechanical type
and not the SW focus.

I hardly ever use my 80-400mm any more. It is not the sharpest of
lenses, and it is certainly slow.

Is there any other recommendations within this range or is the Sigma
50-500 f4.5-6.3 worth looking at??

Need a fast AF and VR

thanks.

Depending on the $$$ you care to spend, the 70-300mm VR should be on the
consideration list for the hobbyist.