Old January 6th 12, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Link

Robert Coe writes:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 16:08:07 -0500, Mike Benveniste
wrote:
: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...t-stradivarius

There's nothing particularly surprising in that research. The real reason for
buying a Stradivari instrument isn't that it plays better or sounds better.
It's to "prove" that you're a good enough (and successful enough) performer to
justify shelling out the necessary cash.

You state that as a fact -- but violinists I talk to disagree with you.
(Well, this decade the Strads are getting to be too old; but when they
developed their modern high prices, the experts thought they WERE worth
it to play.)

But it raises the obvious question for the likes of us: Where is the point
beyond which the aquisition of more and more expensive photographic equipment
serves only that same purpose in our world?

My funds limits (or willingness to spend limits) kick in well before
that, for me.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info