Old January 6th 12, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default Link

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 14:39:54 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:
: On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 00:46:46 +0000, Pete A
: wrote:
:
: On 2012-01-04 23:17:22 +0000, Eric Stevens said:
:
: On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 16:08:07 -0500, Mike Benveniste
: wrote:
:
: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...t-stradivarius
:
: See also
: http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptiveca...ad?sc=fb&cc=fp
:
: or http://tinyurl.com/7jg8mpn
:
: After listening to the sound tracks I found that I could hear a
: difference between the violins but I didn't know enough to know which
: was which. The Strad had a slightly deeper, richer (darker chocolate)
: tone than the modern one.
:
: Reminds of the double-blind test Peter Walker of Quad amplifier fame
: ran about 40 years ago. All the gurus were saying that the Linn
: amplifier sounded more 'musical' than the Quad. Peter Walker
: challenged them to a double blind test to see whether or not they
: really could tell the difference between the two.
:
: For some strange reason all the #1 critics found reasons to be
: somewhere else that day. However a sufficient range of the #2 critics
: were 'volunteered' to enable the tests to be run. Guess what? The
: ability of the listeners to tell a Quad from a Linn was found to be no
: better than selecting the amplifiers by random chance.
:
: Then, to top all this off, Peter Walker told the critics that a Quad
: did sound different from a Linn and showed them why by displaying wave
: forms on oscilloscope.
:
: He went on and explained why there should be this difference. It all
: depended on the placement of a capacitor in the
: amplifier's output circuit. Quad and Linn used two different
: arrangements. He then showed that by changing over the way this
: component was installed he could make a Quad sound like a Linn and
: vice versa.
:
: Finally, he explained why the Quad arrangement gave more accurate
: sound and why the Linn added enhancements to the music which weren't
: actually there in the original. At this point he allowed the critics
: to exit under the door.
:
: Regards,
:
: Eric Stevens
:
: In recent times we read of the large differences in sound between
: optical digital interconnects, even when the digital error rate is zero.
:
: Not to ignore the supposed sound advantage to be obtained by adding a
: flywheel like mass to a CD to help move out the wow and flutter of the
: drive. [Note: the CD reads into a buffer which downloads digital data
: to the DAC at a constant rate governed by a clock.]

Why does that remind me that Kodak is about to go bankrupt?

Bob