Old September 23rd 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Default Multi Pro or Coolscan 8000?

Well, I have my scanner now and it seems to have a problem. To
describe it briefly: it made some very loud noises while it was moving
the carrier back and forth - I know film scanners make a lot of noise
but some of these noises seemed way out of place. The autofocus
function wouldn't work at all. I only managed to scan one frame and
even that was very badly misaligned; I got the latter half of the 6x7
frame I intended, plus a bit of the next one, and the rest of the
frame consisted of the same horizontal repeated again and again. The
next scan I tried was just the repeating horizontal line. After that,
I haven't managed to feed it with film at all; it just won't respond
when I insert a carrier (any carrier). Nikon Scan occasionally says
the scanner has reported a hardware malfunction - and sometimes it
just isn't detected at all.. I've tried Nikon Scan 3 and 4, Vuescan 8
on Windows XP and Nikon Scan 4 and Vuescan 8 on a Mac, with the same
results.

I'd just like to ask, what is the normal Power On Self Test (POST)
sequence like on a working unit? On mine, without the firewire cable
attached, it is:

1. Infrequent flashing of the green LED (about one per second)
2. A mechanical sound while the flashing continues
3. flashing continues for a moment but the sound stops
4. Another mechanical sound, flashing continues
5. Very rapid flashing, no sound
6. The green led is glowing continuously, no more sounds are emitted

I guess what I am going to do next is call the company who is responsible
for servicing Nikon equipment in Finland the first thing Monday morning, to
find out if I have any options for getting this to work. For some reason
I didn't have to pay customs or taxes on this one, which is a nice plus,
but it seems that savings is going into getting the thing serviced..

Apart from not working, the machine is very impressive. It looks like
it's built to last with no miniscular plastic piece of crap parts that
are so typical of today's consumer electronics. The stuff I managed to
scan looked exactly like the stuff I want to be able to achieve with
my scanner..