Old July 18th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Default transferring to a new computer

Eric Stevens writes:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 16:22:38 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet
wrote:

"Alan Justice" writes:

I'm getting a Win7 Home Premium 64 bit machine to replace a Win XP. Do I
have to reinstall all the software (PS 6.0, Office Pro, Canon DPP, etc.) and
then go through the process of changing all the settings to how I like it,
or is there a simple way of just copying over (via a backup drive)? I think
some programs may be self contained in a single folder, but some may alter
Win system files, right?

You have to reinstall everything; there's no way to transfer an
installation of a Windows application from one machine to another.

I'm not sure that you are correct. See
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...other-computer

The list of what it transfers is files and settings, and user accounts,
Internet favorites, and e‑mail. Notably lacking is "applications".
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info