Old July 3rd 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default transferring to a new computer

On 2012-07-02 17:22 , David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
"Alan Justice" writes:

I'm getting a Win7 Home Premium 64 bit machine to replace a Win XP. Do I
have to reinstall all the software (PS 6.0, Office Pro, Canon DPP, etc.) and
then go through the process of changing all the settings to how I like it,
or is there a simple way of just copying over (via a backup drive)? I think
some programs may be self contained in a single folder, but some may alter
Win system files, right?

You have to reinstall everything; there's no way to transfer an
installation of a Windows application from one machine to another.

It depends. I have some apps on my WinXp boxes that I just copied over
from other machines. This includes Lview, PS v. 6 (needed to copy a
bunch of DLL's from Program Files) and several others. If Win7 supports
emulation of WinXP or has an "XP" mode, that c/should work as well.

Certainly all sorts of DOS level programs I wrote under DOS and Windows
run w/o a hitch by copying them over - at least to XP.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.