Old August 4th 06, 09:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default what's the best lens for my purposes???

i'd like to get a digital slr to shoot my artwork. that is all the
camera will EVER be used for. i want a lens that will suit my needs. i
believe 50mm is slightly wide, is it not? so i need 55mm, and for
convenience anything up to 85mm, maybe. most important is the lens have
as little distortion as possible

should i get ,,,
1...50mm only
2...85mm only
3...55mm-200mm zoom
4...24mm - 85mm zoom
5...18mm - 55mm zoom

these are the lenses available for the canon. the problem: 50mm might
be wide, yes? and because i have limited space to go back in my setup,
i am worried that an 85mm will give me problems on larger paintings.
and the zoom gives me my 55mm, but it is a zoom and i am concerned
about distortion.

the nikon lenses have roughly the same.

if i am worried about distortion, BUT settle on a zoom(because of the
55mm) would a 55-200 be better than a 28-80. i'm not too cozy with the
idea of a wide to telephoto format like the 28-80. btw,,,i will have
absolutely ZERO need for a wide. i wish there were a 55-85.

thanks