Old October 15th 03, 10:29 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Default got rid of shadows on portraits, but now subject too dark - help?

(Lynn) wrote in message . com...
Hi, I have been taking portraits of subjects against a white
background.

Not the best way to start. You want a neutral background, usually.

In an attempt to get rid of shadows,

What shadows? From the subject? If that's happening, the subject is
too close to the background. In other words, that's not a lighting
problem.

I have started
lighting the background with 2 tungsten 500 watt lights and then using
fill flash on the subject. This has worked beautifully, except that
occasionally my subject ends up a little dark and not contrast-y
enough.

That's to be expected from your approach.

I've been fixing this in photoshop, but wondered if I used
lesser lights on the background (say 250 watt?) I might get the
subject a bit brighter all the time? I am shooting digital and
converting to black and white, so I don't mind about the tungsten
cast. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks! Lynn