Old October 4th 03, 10:22 AM
Lewis Lang

Default B&W kids portrait

Subject: B&W kids portrait
From: (Michael Scarpitti)
Date: Wed, Sep 24, 2003 9:49 PM
James Meckley wrote in message

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

Almost all Renaissance and later portraiture uses light coming from
the subject's right (viewer's left).

This is simply not true. A broad survey of western painting shows only
a slight bias toward portraits lit from the left (about a 55/45 split),
with some painters favoring left, some right and some exhibiting no

preference.

Even more interesting is photographic portraiture, which shows a
virtually even 50/50 distribution of left-right preference in a survey
of fine art and commercial portraiture over the last 100 years. The
only exceptions are certain amateurs and camera-club members who are
unduly influenced by dogmatic rules telling them that the light must
come from the left.

James Meckley

In my review of painings in the museum, I found an overwhelming
preference for left-side lighting.

Perhaps your sample is not representative of the whole of all fine art
paintings from the Renaissance till now? They call New Jersey the Garden State,
but just viewing it in the Northeast section one might think they wrongly named
it and should have called it "The Asphalt Bungle" ;-)

Regards,

Lewis

Check out my photos at "LEWISVISION":

http://members.aol.com/Lewisvisn/home.htm