Old October 4th 03, 09:56 AM
Lewis Lang

Default B&W kids portrait

SNIP

Almost all Renaissance and later portraiture uses light coming from
the subject's right (viewer's left). It has its origins in the
left-to-right writing sytem used in the West since Greek times.

Hi Mike:

Since I last checked my watch, this is no longer the Renaissance (not since
3:30 PM, atleast ;-)) and no photographer in any age is limited by the habits,
styles, or mannerisms of painters of past ages. Use the lighting direction that
works best with the subject. (Blind following) Rules are for fools. As
photographers we should observe, intuit, reason, feel and make our own best
judgement calls as to lighting direction and how/whether its appropriate for
each and every different subject. This reminds me of some studio photographers
who virtualy, if not literally have their fill lights (and key lights?) nailed
into the floor/ceiling/etc. When you have two eyes and a mind you no longer
need rules - vision "rules".

Regards,

Lewis

Check out my photos at "LEWISVISION":