Old May 13th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

Default Punography comments from Calvin Sambrook

On Tue, 12 May 2009 20:11:56 +0100, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:32:13 +0100, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:

Puns-Dont Be A Horses Ass-Cooper.jpg: I think this is probably a good
photo
in its own right but is spoiled by the mandate if you see what I mean.
Without the symbol it's got nice composition and the shooting angle
certainly grabs the attention!

Puns-Horse Of A Different Color-Cooper.jpg: Wonderful. I love this shot.
The choice of recolour, having the head on the major third and the offset
framing within the frame all work to draw my eye in and grab my attention.
Well done.

I like this photo
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos...26_VCfu3-L.jpg , taken at
the same stable, better. This horse was not as easy to color, though,
so I whipped one off of the white one. (Not the same white horse as
the one in the field)

I'm humbled! Both of those are excellent photos. Did you just snap what
was there or what? In particular how is this second shot lit? It looks as
if you've got light from inside the stable especially on those bars.

Thank you. Just daylight. The two stall windows were at opposite
ends of the building, and the sun just illuminated the interior of the
darker horse's stall more.

Just a quick personal story...when my daughter was a young teenager, I
got her interested in photography by taking her somewhere and saying
"Find a photograph here". Rather than taking her to a photographic
opportunity, I pushed her into making an opportunity out of any
location. She's an avid photographer now.

I used this same philosophy on the mandate. I stopped at the stable
and said to myself "find the shots here". That's why they are all
three horse photos. I always shoot for the mandate rather than pick
photos from past shots that fit the mandate.

It's not really a diagonal crop. When I was shooting the white horse
in the field, another horse had his muzzle under the lowest fence bar
and was munching grass from the other side. He had his head twisted
to do so. I couldn't think of a way, pictorially, to convey "the
grass is greener on the other side",

At least it inspired Annika to come in with one.

so I noticed the one blade
sticking almost straight up. I did line it up a little in post. The
halter, not the bridle, was included to make it clear it was a horse.
With tighter cropping, I wasn't sure it would be recognizable.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida