Old May 12th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Calvin Sambrook

Default Punography comments from Calvin Sambrook

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:32:13 +0100, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:

Puns-Dont Be A Horses Ass-Cooper.jpg: I think this is probably a good
photo
in its own right but is spoiled by the mandate if you see what I mean.
Without the symbol it's got nice composition and the shooting angle
certainly grabs the attention!

Puns-Horse Of A Different Color-Cooper.jpg: Wonderful. I love this shot.
The choice of recolour, having the head on the major third and the offset
framing within the frame all work to draw my eye in and grab my attention.
Well done.

I like this photo
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos...26_VCfu3-L.jpg , taken at
the same stable, better. This horse was not as easy to color, though,
so I whipped one off of the white one. (Not the same white horse as
the one in the field)

I'm humbled! Both of those are excellent photos. Did you just snap what
was there or what? In particular how is this second shot lit? It looks as
if you've got light from inside the stable especially on those bars.

Puns-Straight From The Horses Mouth-Cooper.jpg: This did nothing for me
I'm
afraid. The bridle in the top left is distracting as is the diagonal crop
(what's going on there?). There's just not any visual interest, nothing
pull me in.

It's not really a diagonal crop. When I was shooting the white horse
in the field, another horse had his muzzle under the lowest fence bar
and was munching grass from the other side. He had his head twisted
to do so. I couldn't think of a way, pictorially, to convey "the
grass is greener on the other side", so I noticed the one blade
sticking almost straight up. I did line it up a little in post. The
halter, not the bridle, was included to make it clear it was a horse.
With tighter cropping, I wasn't sure it would be recognizable.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida