Old January 30th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Astigmatic Owl

Default RAW File Support

"Paul Mitchum" wrote in message
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

nigel wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am still finding my way. I've got a
Canon 350D and am using Photoshop 7. Is there any way I can get RAW
file support on this version of Photoshop either using Canon's RAW
format or converting to DNG?

You'll probably have to go through DNG. Adobe doesn't update old
versions of the Camera Raw plugin, so if the camera came out after the
version of Photoshop you're out of luck for direct converstion.

Make sure you have the latest ACR for that version of photoshop, and if
that doesn't work, go via DNG.

However, you can always download the *latest* DNG converter, which
supports newer cameras, and convert the raw to DNG, and then the older
ACR will convert the DNG to an image.

This is true, but will PS 7 be able to use DNG files?

While Adobe limits which versions of Photoshop can use the latest versions
the Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) plug-in, they have been much more generous
with Photoshop Elements. The latest version of ACR is 3.6 and it works with
Elements versions 3, 4, and 5. If you buy Elements 5, it will cost you about
US $80, less on a good sale. ACR 3.6 was released in October 2006, so it
handles all cameras available before about September 2006.

ACR 3.6 is available on www.adobe.com which will list supported camera.