Old January 6th 05, 02:27 PM
David J Taylor

TORENGI wrote:
I'm having a lot of trouble choosing between the Nikon D-70
and the Canon 20D. Been a photographer for over 40 years.
This is my first venture into digital.

Does anyone have some experience with both that could give
me a few pointers on making my selection?

My only concern with the 20D is the file size of each photo.
Your thoughts please.............

John, there is another choice - break out of the SLR rut and go for a
higher-end point and shoot. Unless you have an existing lens investment,
why pay for not only a DSLR body, but for all the lenses to go with it?
Bulky, and with problems of dust getting on the sensor each time you
change the lens.

Yes, DSLRs do produce a better quality image because of their larger
sensitive area, but you can get some remarkable cameras in point and
shoot. For example, the Panasonic FZ20 has an f/2.8 Leica lens covering
36 - 432mm focal length (35mm equivalent) with image stabilisation, and
yet it weighs far less and costs far less than the equivalent DSLR
combination.

I used SLRs forty years from 1968, but after getting my first Nikon
Coolpix digital camera in 1998 I haven't taken a single 35mm frame since.
OK, point-and shoot may not be for you, but don't discount the possibility
without considering it.

Cheers,
David