Old January 6th 05, 01:58 PM
Linda_N

"TORENGI" wrote in message

I'm having a lot of trouble choosing between the Nikon D-70
and the Canon 20D. Been a photographer for over 40 years.
This is my first venture into digital.

Does anyone have some experience with both that could give
me a few pointers on making my selection?

My only concern with the 20D is the file size of each photo.
Your thoughts please.............

Thank you very much for your time and courtesy.

John

They are both excellent mid skill level dSLR cameras, but the 20D has
required more firmware upgrades to fix some bugs that never should have made
it to market...with Canon it has become money first, consumer ease second...

You mention you've been a photographer for over 40 years so I'm assuming
you're not referring to instamatic cameras. What lenses do you have already?
Are any compatible with either the D70 or 20D? If the answer is yes than go
with the model camera that allows you to use all or some of your old lenses.
If the answer is no, Canon offers more choice for lenses, and more can be
found on the second hand market if budget is a consideration.

The 20D is a newer camera, and is the answer to Nikon's release of the D70.
As such the D20 has some offerings the D70 does not have, but don't let that
be your deciding factor because the D70 is cheaper, enough so that an extra
lens or two could be had for the difference, and both models still offer
more than most hobby photographers will ever use.

It is not likely that a replacement for the 20D will be out in the next 1.5
years, but the D70 replacement is 'likely' on the horizon to be released in
August, announced sooner.

Canon puts out more rebates on dSLR and lenses than Nikon does on average
which in the long run can get your those lenses which normally would be cost
prohibitive.

Linda