Old November 5th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob M

Default Washed out signs Revisited

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 02:47:42 GMT, Ken Weitzel wrote:

Hi Bob...

Glad you bought a scanner, glad you bought Epson. Now I'm a
little jealous being that I still have a 3200

The Epson looked like a good compromise for price/performance. I doubt that I
will need the higher 9600dpi resolution offered at twice the price (This one
had a max 4800 dpi).
I hope I won't regret choosing a flatbed over a dedicated slide scanner. I
realize that there is glass between the slide and the sensor on a flatbed, and
I hope that is not what is causing the distortion I mentioned. Fringing I
believe it is called, or chromatic aberrance.

Hope you're using the twain driver and importing the output into
some graphics program rather than using Epson's stand alone stuff.

Wish I knew what you meant by that. I save the output from the scanner in a
file, which I can then operate on using the Kodak Software or Photoshop. Is
there another way?
Hope you visited Epson's site to grab the latest updates if available.

Yes, I downloaded the latest 3.01a version.
Hope you're using the twain driver in pro mode.

I am now.

Looked at your bridge, and it's obvious that the whites are blown
out... mine does it too. The defense is to do your pre-scan,
crop if necessary, click on the auto button, then click the
histogram and pull down the whites by about 5 points. Look at
the new histogram with the "show output" button.

I seem to have a handle on the blown out whites. I am in process of trying the
histogram adjustment. I have tried unsharp mask off and on with each of the 3
levels, low, med & high. In all cases I get the "Fringing".

Not sure what that weird effect is beside the sign... it's not
possible that you did have unsharp mask on? Or is it possible
that the effect came about from radical downsizing?

I don't think so. The fringing is visible without zooming in on it. It is not
on the original slide, it did not show on the screen when I projected it, and
of course, it was not there in the camera shot of the projected image. It
started to appear when I started using the scanner.

It would be nice if you'd scan that tiny portion at 2400 or better,
and put it on your site without downsizing.

I will try that later, but I don't see (yet) how that would be any different
from cutting out part of the initial scanned jpeg? Which was done at 4800 dpi.

Finally, I played with your pic a bit with Paint Shop Pro;
I'll try to email it to you directly, and hope that's OK.

Sure, it is appreciated. My results with PaintShop were not as good. I posted
the Kodak Enhanced version because it had a crisper version of the signs on
the bridge.

Take care.

You too.

Ken

One pleasant surprise is that the 4490 deals with Black & White negatives.
Last night I scanned a negative of a Baltimore & Ohio Railroad exhibit taken
by my father 1n 1927. I have the negatives, but never saw prints of them. I am
amazed that the scanner can do that.
Next on the list is to see what it can do with some old (Agfa?) slides which
my brother "Liberated" from a Nazi SS officer during WWII in Germany. They are
terribly faded, so I do not have too much hope for them, but I will try.

Remove "not" for return address.