Old May 25th 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

-hh
Wed, 24
May 2017 21:58:53 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Since my
client is configured to download message bodies as well as
headers, it's kept all the threads for this newsgroup. There's
many I still haven't gotten around to reading yet. I noticed the
thread, I read the posts, and, I replied. Simple as that. What's
'old and dead' to you doesn't mean the same to me.

Oh, I know quite well how .rn files work .. but nevertheless, you
chimed in on a thread which had otherwise ended ("dead") by the
other newsgroup regulars.

newsrc files, you mean. Formally known as .rn files...Prior to
threading capable newsreaders came into existance...I'm not a regular
of your newsgroup, so it's not dead to me, or anyone else who comes
across it for the first time, either. As I wrote previously, this is
usenet, not a chatroom.

As in the blue boxes that Steve Jobs built & sold before Apple,
which enabled thefts of services from Bell Telephone. But that's
just its original history.

Sorry if I don't feel bad about taking ma bell for a ride on
occasion. Please don't tell me your a mac fanboy too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking

He wasn't the first to do it, and, wasn't the only one building
boxes.

True, but you claimed that your job was done.

In so far as warning people like yourself, which seem to be a bit
gullible concerning David Brooks and his need to stalk people who
refuse to do his bidding, yes. I can lead you to water, but, I can't
really force you to drink it.

Get a ****ing clue, newbie.

I haven't been a newbie in a very long time...

http://picpaste.com/HlZsFJlY.jpg

That's my name in 'lights' as BD likes to remind me, from time to
time. BD being the stalker that you've unknowingly been trying to
help. Ever hear of the program or the company Malwarebytes? They
recruited me to work for them, btw. I didn't even know they were
looking for researchers OR had any openings. I was working on my own
antimalware application known as BugHunter.

And I mean "newbie" in the USENET sense, not merely RPD.

Says the one who thinks google groups is intended for usenet and
makes for a great method of accessing usenet...I'm not new to usenet,
either. Prior to using a real client and prior to the existance of
google, I was on usenet via uucp and unix based shell accounts that I
succesfully hacked from college kids who thought they knew alot more
than they did.

The unix shell accounts were my first experience with the 'original'
(depending on who you ask) usenet client, known as rn. That's why I
asked if you were familiar with it, since you continue confusing
'newsrc' for the 'rn' ascii text file clients like it used, back in
the day.

Oh, look: it is another complaint from Dustin about his personal
lack of a PC with any computational power. Have you perhaps
thought buying a new one from *this* decade?

Your trolling skills need work, Hugh. You should learn how to read in
context. I was citing an example, I didn't say I had any machines
that old here.

How about *installing* it, pedantic boy?

It doesn't require installation. It's a 'portable' app. I don't
really agree with the buzzword anymore so than I do the 'cloud' but,
it is what it is, and as someone once reminded me, I don't control
the lexicon. You're nineteen years older than me...So, I don't know
why you keep referring to me as a 'boy' in a derogatory manner.

After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed.

Are you sure about that? You seem to be of the mistaken impression
that All apps require installation. They don't. Or, are you using the
word installed very loosely? To the point of a pantsize thats much
much too large to fit you, and, so rides your ankles?

https://portableapps.com/
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/core/

No installation required.

Nope...but you failed to read the [3] footnote: it made it clear
that this USB dongle was to have a local, yet transportable, copy
of one's Newsreader's .rn file, which you take with you via the
USB stick as one moves between different desktop PC's.

There's no rn file with Xnews. It uses a newsrc file. Why take the
newsrc file when I can just take the entire program with me? It works
on Windows and Wine under Linux. so.. it's quite adaptable. Doesn't
require admin level rights to run, either.

Doesn't require install, either. Copy directory (oh, sorry, in
Windows slang it's a 'folder') to the USB stick (dongle if you
insist, but, that reminds me of copy protected software for the most
part, back in the day) and run it from there, or, if you'd like, copy
it to the hosts local HD. Even as a non admin user, short of a corp
network environment, you have write access to some folders on the
machine.

...oh, wait: you *do* know what an .rn file is, relative to how
Newsreaders are classically designed, don't you?
Well kid, it is where each newsgroup's article#'s for what's been
read (and by omission, what's not been read) data is stored.
Back in the era of trn/rn on Unix, it was a simple ASCII text file.

It still is, but, it goes by the name 'newsrc' these days. I asked if
you used one of the original clients by the same name as rn. I used
it too, back in the day. When 'threaded' based clients came into
existance though, I happily switched. They have advantages over what
you're calling classic.

I don't know exactly what you mean by contextual continuity
between multiple devices either.

And it shows.

Shrug. Any device that can connect to the internet and use a browser
capable of parsing the scripts will see essentially the same thing on
screen (mobile devices obviously see a slightly different version;
but the posts themselves look pretty much the same) I don't see how
you consider that to be a feature specific to google, though.

Nope, not what I was alluding to at all. This was alluding to
replacing the hardware USB dongle for the .rn file repository with
a cloud based one that each platform's newsreader App would use,
in lieu of a local one. The approach would have some headaches
for revision control with multiple open sessions, but...

The newsrc file, you mean...Although, they are the same beastie,
clients these days use a file called 'newsrc' It has the same
internal structure for the most part as the original 'rn' file.

Some headaches?

I don't know why I'd just copy my newsrc file to take with me, when I
can just rar/zip/native copy the entire Xnews folder instead? As I
said, it's keeping local copies, has a search ability on all
databases internal to it, etc. It even keeps a copy of each usenet
post I create, in the event I want to review one or more later on
down the road. I can even do local searches based on a variety of
criteria.

Xnews works well under Windows and Wine under Linux, so, it's a
decent client, if you like the older look and feel. That and I have
some time invested in Xnews with some software I've written that
interacts with it's local files. Everything from .ini file
configuration to the .hdr, mbx files. You've seen some of the results
of that, without knowing it. That is, if you've examined my headers.

Lack of any filtering ability, limited search options, failure to
maintain proper threading. Inability to change threading views,
etc.

But of course there's downsides; life is like that.

Well, those are important things to me and others who've been on
usenet for decades and actually like the flexability and control
offered with a real client, vs a web portal interface. YMMV.

Hardly a problem with cellular data networks - - although I will
admit that I went ~3 weeks last year effectively without coverage,
while on vacation in South Africa and Namibia...and to keep this
post at least minimally on-topic to RPD, here's some photos from
that trip:

As I said. I don't have to be online to read/write replies/search
folders, upto the last point in time where my client downloaded the
message headers and associated message bodies. They're locally stored
when it does that.

Further, I can review them at any time I like, prior to them being
sent and make changes and/or delete them instead, if I so choose. I
can also delay which ones get sent and when. Can't do any of that
with google groups...

Which tells me you're located in Sierra Vista, Arizona on an Army
base.

Gosh, really? /S

My point in doing that was that your choice of usenet access provider
exposes information to the rest of us that doesn't need to be. The
internet can be a dangerous place, as you well know, why just give
people with nefarious intentions information they don't even have to
work for?

Google groups is great, if you don't give a **** about your own
privacy.

Or know that attempts at anonymity are doomed to failure.

That depends on the steps you take, actually. And, privacy isn't the
same as anonymity, but, they are related to a point..

As for me, I had a sound reason behind providing my real name, years
ago. I had a lot of trust to regain due to outright, malicious
software I'm responsible for having authored. I knew when I released
my antimalware scanner, that due to a 'coding style signature', it
would only be a matter of time before someone familiar with the
malicious code I authored would figure out I wrote BugHunter, too. I
decided to head that off at the pass.

One can remain anonymous online, if proper steps are taken and it's
something they actually want to do.

All this because of the information available in your headers,
none of which you'll find in mine.

Because trolls like to hide much more than honest people.

I realize you think that by referring to me as a troll, it somehow
makes it true. I'm not actually a troll anymore so than yourself.

I 'hide' certain information as you put it due to David Brooks and
people just like him. He's tried to 'dox' me over the years, five or
six times now, and, it started because I refused to help him break
into systems he had no rights to, and copy information from those
systems that he had no right to have.

Basically, any address that comes up in a public records search, he
thinks I actually lived at. He's that ignorant concerning how things
work in the world. If you think public records searches are accurate
and immune to incorrect data, you're just as ignorant as he is.

You can start with the market leaders: Microsoft Windows and
Apple OS X.

Interesting. This machine happens to be running Windows. I'm
presently not logged in with Admin level rights, and, I didn't use
Admin level rights to create a folder for Xnews, unzip it there, and
configure it to my liking. It doesn't require installation. As I told
you. I certainly don't use the root or admin level accounts on my
linux machines for day to day things, either. Xnews runs fine on the
normal restricted user accounts on all my machines.

Yes, for several years. Go search the USENET archives, kid, and
you'll find proof in ancient headers.

You have nineteen years on me, so you can stop calling me a 'kid'.
Ok? And I didn't start with computers as a teenager or young
adult, either.

As I said, I didn't recall the exact file name correctly. That's
an extremely minor issue when you realize that I'm recalling
minutia from 30 years ago ... back when you were still in diapers.

See above. I wasn't in diapers thirty years ago, and, I've written
programs that are older...Do you have any more assumptions about me
you'd like to share? As I find the ones you have, very amusing.

From a capability standpoint, there is AFAIK no equivalent
match to GG by any alternatives that anyone has suggested in
the last ~decade.

What capabilities, specifically, do you think GG has that a real
news client does not?

The ones listed above which you just tried to comment on.

The only one that GG has on Xnews is it's ability to be accessed on
any device capable of an internet connection and a browser able to
parse the scripting. Which doesn't make it unique. It simply means
it's a web interface. A web based 'portal' to usenet, in all reality.

Xnews has many capabilities that GG does not have, though. Filtering,
threading, advanced searching, Local copy storage, offline use to
read/respond to already downloaded messages. Etc.

Wrong. All you've done is to fail to meet my stated capability
requirements.

The only valid requirement you have stated is the web portal aspect
to GG. Xnews isn't a web portal, it's an actual Newsreader with
abilities that exceed that of which GG is able to offer you.

T-Minus 3 hours and counting.

While I find your clock rather amusing, it doesn't mean I care about
meeting 'conditions' you set on me in the time limit you impose.

You prefer to access usenet via a web portal, and, I prefer a real
client. It's as simple as that. The real client has more features and
abilities, which suit me. YMMV.

So you try to claim - - but it doesn't matter, because what
you did to is to "dox" another, which makes you a hypocrite.

MID:

Pot-kettle-black, then?

I fully admit that I have, 'dox'd David Brooks in a rather large way.
because I wouldn't do some shady things on his behalf.

Which I've known for decades, kid.

Again, you're nineteen years older than myself, so you can quit with
the condescending 'kid' remark.

Don't need to bother, and as I've already pointed out,
it would be much less convenient for me and my workflow's
use case.

A web browser with the limitations present on google suits your
'workflow' better? That just wouldn't work for me. Maybe I'm a bit of
a control freak then, as I like the control a real client affords me.