Old May 24th 17, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:41:39 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
-hh wrote:
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 12:41:21 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
-hh wrote:

Hence, no one here really gives a damn about whatever axe you
have to grind.

I have no axe to grind...

Liar.

That's precisely why you just revived an old & dead thread to try
to be pedantic on my use of the slang term of "dinosaur juice".

*ahem*, No, I'm not.

Your a google groups user, I use a real usenet client.

And as I explained, using a traditional USENET client doesn't
satisfy my personal workflow needs/priorities.

Those are the facts no matter how much you lamely try to be
oh so "l33t" by claiming that a traditional App is "real".
In fact, if you really were good at archive searches, you
would be able to find when I was using MT-Newswatcher, and
even earlier than that, trn and rn.

Since my
client is configured to download message bodies as well as headers,
it's kept all the threads for this newsgroup. There's many I still
haven't gotten around to reading yet. I noticed the thread, I read
the posts, and, I replied. Simple as that. What's 'old and dead' to
you doesn't mean the same to me.

Oh, I know quite well how .rn files work .. but nevertheless, you
chimed in on a thread which had otherwise ended ("dead") by the
other newsgroup regulars.

Exactly, which includes all of your "but, but ... trust my ZIP
files" bull****.

You don't need to trust my zip file. Or me. I've provided enough
resources for you to fact check what I've written for yourself.

Your game was up as soon as one saw "alt.2600" it your headers.

Hows that? Just what do you think alt.2600 is? Are you familiar with
the terms, phreaking and tone generator? What game do you think I'm
playing with you or anyone else here?

As in the blue boxes that Steve Jobs built & sold before Apple,
which enabled thefts of services from Bell Telephone. But that's
just its original history.

Yes, my job is done. However, I'm not leaving just yet. I find
some of the conversations interest me. So, I'll remain for a bit.

BUT OF COURSE you'll find an excuse! /S

This is usenet. I'm free to come and go to any newsgroup my server
carries as I see fit. it's not a chatroom.

True, but you claimed that your job was done.

Besides, I've *never* taken orders from someone who's unable
to access usenet via a real server and client. I really don't
know how you can stand google groups idea of access...

Gosh, as if that lame excuse hasn't been tried before either!

Eh?

Get a ****ing clue, newbie.

And I mean "newbie" in the USENET sense, not merely RPD.

While Google Groups does have its shortcomings, in its favor its:

(a) entirely OS independent;

Well, not exactly. It requires a browser capable of rendering it. You
wouldn't be doing this on older OSes (say Win3x) well, if at all due
the sheer amount of cpu hungry client side scripting google uses...

Oh, look: it is another complaint from Dustin about his personal
lack of a PC with any computational power. Have you perhaps
thought buying a new one from *this* decade?

(b) without any need to have Admin authority [1];

I don't need to be admin to use Xnews...

How about *installing* it, pedantic boy?

After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed.

(c) provides full contextual continuity between multiple
devices[2]; (d) without any hassle of a {USB hardware} dongle[3];

dongle? WTF? There's no copy protection on Xnews. I suppose ...

Nope...but you failed to read the [3] footnote: it made it clear
that this USB dongle was to have a local, yet transportable, copy
of one's Newsreader's .rn file, which you take with you via the
USB stick as one moves between different desktop PC's.

....oh, wait: you *do* know what an .rn file is, relative to
how Newsreaders are classically designed, don't you? Well kid,
it is where each newsgroup's article#'s for what's been read
(and by omission, what's not been read) data is stored. Back
in the era of trn/rn on Unix, it was a simple ASCII text file.

I don't know exactly what you mean by contextual continuity
between multiple devices either.

And it shows.

(e) without having to write & run my own server to any of this;

I've written my own usenet server (and client) before, to familiarize
myself with the underlying protocol, but, I don't run my own server
to access usenet as I don't need to do so. Many free options exist.
Hell, my ISP still provides giganews access. I just don't use it.

Nope, not what I was alluding to at all. This was alluding to
replacing the hardware USB dongle for the .rn file repository with
a cloud based one that each platform's newsreader App would use,
in lieu of a local one. The approach would have some headaches
for revision control with multiple open sessions, but...

(f) and so on (I'm probably forgetting a few other points).

Lack of any filtering ability, limited search options, failure to
maintain proper threading. Inability to change threading views, etc.

But of course there's downsides; life is like that.

Having to be online to read posts, ...

Hardly a problem with cellular data networks - - although I will
admit that I went ~3 weeks last year effectively without coverage,
while on vacation in South Africa and Namibia...and to keep this
post at least minimally on-topic to RPD, here's some photos from
that trip:

http://www.huntzinger.com/gallery/index.php/SAN

(If it supports that yet) Exposing your IP address with each post in
your headers. NNTP-Posting-Host: 143.85.5.26 from your post..

1 143.85.5.26 Succeed USA - Arizona TSACS-NET
Headquarters, USAISC 143.85.0.0 143.85.255.255
143.85.0.0/16 Yes Headquarters, USAISC NETC-ANC CONUS
TNOSC, Fort Huachuca 85613 disa.columbus.ns.mbx.arin-
disa.columbus.ns.mbx.arin-
+1-844-347-2457 ARIN

Which tells me you're located in Sierra Vista, Arizona on an Army
base.

Gosh, really? /S

Now aren't you the guy who gets soooooo offended by others who
have reportedly "doxxed" you? And you're now doing it to others?
Is that not called being a hypocrite?

Google groups is great, if you don't give a **** about your own
privacy.

Or know that attempts at anonymity are doomed to failure.

And, in your case, you actually chose a domain name you control.

From that we can get this:
1 huntzinger.com whois.networksolutions.com Succeed
Registered 3/7/2018 3/7/2000 3/5/2017 H. Huntzinger
No
+1.85848106048584816499 US

Tech Name: Huntzinger, H
Tech Organization: Huntzinger
Tech Street: 1 Harmony Ln
Tech City: Denville
Tech State/Province: NJ

New Jersey? But didn't you just claim that I'm in Sierra Vista, Arizona?

All this because of the information available in your headers, none
of which you'll find in mine.

Because trolls like to hide much more than honest people.

Footnotes:

[1] - Admin is required to install a Newsreader Application

Oh which OSes specifically? You realize, not all 'Newsreader
Applications' require install?

You can start with the market leaders: Microsoft Windows and
Apple OS X.

[2] - Effectively, a cloud-based .rn file updated in real time

You meant .newsrc right?

Probably so...its been so long since I used it, such small details
are relatively easy to forget.

rn was an ancient newsclient (NewsReader)
originally developed in 1984...Did you ever use it?

Yes, for several years. Go search the USENET archives, kid, and
you'll find proof in ancient headers.

[3] - an old suggestion which would have worked on some desktops
was to carry around one's newsreader's .rn file on a USB thumb
drive. But this presupposed [1] as well as that USB drivers
weren't disabled.

Umm, no. NewsReaders use a .newsrc file. It's a standardized file,
you know.

As I said, I didn't recall the exact file name correctly. That's
an extremely minor issue when you realize that I'm recalling
minutia from 30 years ago ... back when you were still in diapers.

From a capability standpoint, there is AFAIK no equivalent match
to GG by any alternatives that anyone has suggested in the last
~decade.

What capabilities, specifically, do you think GG has that a real news
client does not?

The ones listed above which you just tried to comment on.

And so, you now have 48 hours from the timestamp of your next
r.p.d post to provide a better solution from the above capability
outline.

So far, I've provided examples of where your 'outline' is flawed.

Wrong. All you've done is to fail to meet my stated capability requirements.

T-Minus 3 hours and counting.

FYI, the reason for this arbitrary 48 hour deadline is so that a
failure to respond in a timely fashion still counts (because we
all know how "brave" trolls are in admitting that they lost! /S).

I'm not a troll, ....

LOL.

and, at this point, I don't think I've lost anything...

Correct, because you still have 3 hours to go.

..And, I'm not trying to stalk you or otherwise intimidate
you either.

So you try to claim - - but it doesn't matter, because what
you did to is to "dox" another, which makes you a hypocrite.

I was simply making a point as to how much of your own
information you're throwing out there,...

Which I've known for decades, kid.

just by choosing to use google
groups instead of an actual client and any number of free/paid
servers that will give you more control and privacy.

Don't need to bother, and as I've already pointed out,
it would be much less convenient for me and my workflow's
use case.

-hh