Old May 24th 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

-hh
Mon, 22
May 2017 18:45:13 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 12:41:21 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
-hh
Mon,
22 May 2017 10:39:09 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Hence, no one here really gives a damn about whatever axe you
have to grind.

I have no axe to grind...

Liar.

That's precisely why you just revived an old & dead thread to try
to be pedantic on my use of the slang term of "dinosaur juice".

*ahem*, No, I'm not.

Your a google groups user, I use a real usenet client. Since my
client is configured to download message bodies as well as headers,
it's kept all the threads for this newsgroup. There's many I still
haven't gotten around to reading yet. I noticed the thread, I read
the posts, and, I replied. Simple as that. What's 'old and dead' to
you doesn't mean the same to me.

Exactly, which includes all of your "but, but ... trust my ZIP
files" bull****.

You don't need to trust my zip file. Or me. I've provided enough
resources for you to fact check what I've written for yourself.

Your game was up as soon as one saw "alt.2600" it your headers.

Hows that? Just what do you think alt.2600 is? Are you familiar with
the terms, phreaking and tone generator? What game do you think I'm
playing with you or anyone else here?

Yes, my job is done. However, I'm not leaving just yet. I find
some of the conversations interest me. So, I'll remain for a bit.

BUT OF COURSE you'll find an excuse! /S

This is usenet. I'm free to come and go to any newsgroup my server
carries as I see fit. it's not a chatroom.

Besides, I've *never* taken orders from someone who's unable
to access usenet via a real server and client. I really don't
know how you can stand google groups idea of access...

Gosh, as if that lame excuse hasn't been tried before either!

Eh?

While Google Groups does have its shortcomings, in its favor its:

(a) entirely OS independent;

Well, not exactly. It requires a browser capable of rendering it. You
wouldn't be doing this on older OSes (say Win3x) well, if at all due
the sheer amount of cpu hungry client side scripting google uses...

(b) without any need to have Admin authority [1];

I don't need to be admin to use Xnews...

(c) provides full contextual continuity between multiple
devices[2]; (d) without any hassle of a {USB hardware} dongle[3];

dongle? WTF? There's no copy protection on Xnews. I suppose it's
possible you know of a usenet client that has some form of copy
protection, but, with the sheer amount of alternative choices
available to people for years, it wouldn't make for a good business
decision.

I don't know exactly what you mean by contextual continuity between
multiple devices either. You load a web browser and a url, and,
you're here (or someplace else). I can move Xnews around on my
windows and linux machines (works well under Wine aside from a font
issue) as I like. It's a portable app, you see.

(e) without having to write & run my own server to any of this;

I've written my own usenet server (and client) before, to familiarize
myself with the underlying protocol, but, I don't run my own server
to access usenet as I don't need to do so. Many free options exist.
Hell, my ISP still provides giganews access. I just don't use it.

(f) and so on (I'm probably forgetting a few other points).

Lack of any filtering ability, limited search options, failure to
maintain proper threading. Inability to change threading views, etc.
Having to be online to read posts, since you can't store them locally
on your own machine. Inability to save entire threads to a local
file, for reading later and/or archiving purposes. No notification of
replies to posts you've written, without logging into google first.
(If it supports that yet) Exposing your IP address with each post in
your headers. NNTP-Posting-Host: 143.85.5.26 from your post..

1 143.85.5.26 Succeed USA - Arizona TSACS-NET
Headquarters, USAISC 143.85.0.0 143.85.255.255
143.85.0.0/16 Yes Headquarters, USAISC NETC-ANC CONUS
TNOSC, Fort Huachuca 85613 disa.columbus.ns.mbx.arin-
disa.columbus.ns.mbx.arin-
+1-844-347-2457 ARIN

Which tells me you're located in Sierra Vista, Arizona on an Army
base. If you elect to view this reply in it's original format, you'll
find no such identifying information in my headers.

Google groups is great, if you don't give a **** about your own
privacy. Google gets to see what you read/write and where and, since
you have to login to post, you have to provide a legit email address.
And, in your case, you actually chose a domain name you control.

From that we can get this:
1 huntzinger.com whois.networksolutions.com Succeed
Registered 3/7/2018 3/7/2000 3/5/2017 H. Huntzinger
No
+1.85848106048584816499 US

Tech Name: Huntzinger, H
Tech Organization: Huntzinger
Tech Street: 1 Harmony Ln
Tech City: Denville
Tech State/Province: NJ
Tech Postal Code: 07834-2421
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.9735862908
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +1.9999999999
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email:

Mr Hugh A Huntzinger...

Related to a Margaret E Huntzinger from Denville, NJ. I'm assuming
this is your wife?

All this because of the information available in your headers, none
of which you'll find in mine.

Footnotes:

[1] - Admin is required to install a Newsreader Application

Oh which OSes specifically? You realize, not all 'Newsreader
Applications' require install?

[2] - Effectively, a cloud-based .rn file updated in real time

You meant .newsrc right? rn was an ancient newsclient (NewsReader)
originally developed in 1984...Did you ever use it?

[3] - an old suggestion which would have worked on some desktops
was to carry around one's newsreader's .rn file on a USB thumb
drive. But this presupposed [1] as well as that USB drivers
weren't disabled.

Umm, no. NewsReaders use a .newsrc file. It's a standardized file,
you know.

https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/softwar...uide/3_1_2.htm

From a capability standpoint, there is AFAIK no equivalent match
to GG by any alternatives that anyone has suggested in the last
~decade.

What capabilities, specifically, do you think GG has that a real news
client does not?

And so, you now have 48 hours from the timestamp of your next
r.p.d post to provide a better solution from the above capability
outline.

So far, I've provided examples of where your 'outline' is flawed.

FYI, the reason for this arbitrary 48 hour deadline is so that a
failure to respond in a timely fashion still counts (because we
all know how "brave" trolls are in admitting that they lost! /S).

I'm not a troll, and, at this point, I don't think I've lost
anything...And, I'm not trying to stalk you or otherwise intimidate
you either. I was simply making a point as to how much of your own
information you're throwing out there, just by choosing to use google
groups instead of an actual client and any number of free/paid
servers that will give you more control and privacy.

I am sorry for the loss of your diving friend, btw. I've lost friends
doing what they loved as well.