Old February 19th 11, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default Lens Cell Cleaning

On 2/18/2011 6:10 PM spake thus:

On 2/18/2011 5:15 PM, Donn Cave wrote:

Quoth
(Thor Lancelot Simon): ...

On the other hand, maybe it's not "uncharacteristic". Wollensak
made some awful Tessar lenses and so did a few others. Maybe
Richard knows: is there something about the Tessar design that
makes is particularly prone to manufacturing or Q/C error?

I believe one way to make a Tessar awful is to use it for LF
applications that require a larger circle than it really delivers.

The xenar I am talking about looks bad on 6X9. A 135mm tessar should
easily cover that sharply when stopped down. This one won't.

I guess some lenses are just born bad ...

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet