Old September 25th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Jürgen Exner

Default OT: qualitative/quantitative (WAS: Infrared photography)

DaveC wrote:
Isn't that the other way round?
Qualitative meaning just yes/no while quantitative in addition tells you
how much, e.g. darker or lighter on a b/w IR-image or
blue/green/yellow/red/white on a color IR-image?

Quantitative: does it exist? do we have presence or absence? 0 or 0?
Qualitative: what are its qualities?

That is opposite to what I learned in science, especially in chemistry.

There a qualitative analysis tells you _which_ components are present in
a sample (yes/no).
And a quantitative analysis tells you _how much_ (what quantity) of each
component can be found.

Wikipedia seems to support this view:
"A quantitative attribute is one that exists in a range of magnitudes,
and can therefore be measured. Measurements of any particular
quantitative property are expressed as a specific quantity, referred to
as a unit, multiplied by a number. Examples of physical quantities are
distance, mass, and time."

Please let's not detour into this realm. Those who want to discuss
quantitative vs. qualitative please start another thread...

Ooops :-). "Subject" adjusted as requested.

jue