Old November 24th 05, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Canon 20D or Nikon D70s?

"Per Ting" wrote in message
How these two compare, the price of cannon is slightly higher, but in
terms
of quality how do they compare. I am thinking of D70s with 18-70 kit lens
and 20D with 17-85 IS lens. How do the lenses compare? Any suggestion for
better wakl around lenses to go with each? I have heard good things about
Sigma 18-50 and 18-200 lenses.

Thanks

As far as which camera, that's one only you can answer, really. The pixel
count is close, but in favor of the Canon, the noise issue is a wash, the
Nikon is a little better at low ISO, the Canon is better at high ISO. Lens
lines are pretty much equally deep, with consumer and pro lenses both wide
and tele. Canon has more stabilized lenses, but only in the far reaches of
the tele world, both have a good selection of zoom lenses that have
stabilization. If you're going to shoot architecture, Canon offers some
exotic tilt and shift lenses that Nikon doesn't. Some people like the
ergonomics of one over the other, again, that's something best left up to
you.
The Canon 17-85 IS is a better lens, somewhat, but its main claim to fame is
the IS feature, one that the Nikon lacks. But it should be better, it
increases the cost of the kit by about $500 as compared to the Nikon
increasing its kit cost by about $200.
The 17-85 IS probably is the best walkaround lens out there for a 1.6x crop
camera, unless you need more reach. Then I'd recommend the Canon 28-135 IS,
which sells for about $400. And, there, Nikon does have an answer, the
24-135 VR.
I've heard some praise for the Sigma lenses you mention, the 18-50 in
particular, but as far as the 18-200, most of what I've heard is in the
"good for what it is" category, a 10x zoom has a lot of optical compromises,
by its very nature. If you don't want to change lenses, ever, and only
print to 4x6 or just show on the web, it might be sufficient. But, if you
get serious, you may find yourself disappointed. One other thing about
Sigma, there are some compatibility issues with their lenses and subsequent
Canon bodies, at least in the non EX versions. No reported issues with
Nikon, or other camera mfrs.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com