Old September 28th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Default Infrared photography

In article .net,
says...

Or can I just strip off the existing filter and not replace it with anything?
I'm looking for quantitative data (the existence of IR) not qualitative data
(a pretty picture). What function does the replacement filter provide (other
than passing IR data)?

Whether the filter is internal or external, its main function is to
limit what spectrum the sensor responds to.

Assuming an ordinary Bayer-filtered sensor, all three color channels
will be sensitive to IR. If you remove the IR-blocking filter and don't
replace it, the sensor will receive both IR and visible light. The IR
will contaminate the color channels in visible photography if you don't
install an external IR-blocking filter.

To clarify, I want to "see" IR images real-time in the viewfinder, not
post-process the image data to reveal the IR.

If you use an IR-pass filter on a camera with an electronic viewfinder,
you can see the IR image live.

Depending on the filter, the camera, and the mode you're shooting in,
you might see the image in black and white, a pastel false color image,
or vividly bright false color.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/