Old November 5th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Weitzel

Default Washed out signs Revisited

Bob M wrote:
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:19:13 GMT, "jeremy" wrote:

The only way to digitize slides properly is to use a film scanner. Trying
to take a photo off of a projected image is going to result in near complete
loss of luminance and color saturation information.

Thanks to the advice from this newsgroup, I bought an Epson 4490 Photo
Scanner. It does a better job than the Projector/Camera method.

The very first slide I scanned is shown as the 2nd link below. While it did
show the signs which were missing from the camera attempt, it was a little too
dark, losing some of the fall colors in the background. I ran it thru Kodak'a
Enhancement software, and got the 3rd result.

First the Projector/Camera shot:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bob-m1...e2.jpg&.src=ph

The Raw output of the Epson Scanner. Only "ICE" was checked off.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bob-m1...e2.jpg&.src=ph

After running it through Kodak's "Enhance"
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bob-m1...e2.jpg&.src=ph

It isn't quite right yet. If you look at this part, cut from the scanned
image, there is something wrong just to the left of the sign. At the edge
between the bright white and the darkness of inside the bridge, there is some
kind of distortion. How do I get rid of that?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bob-m1...e2.jpg&.src=ph

-----------

Hi Bob...

Glad you bought a scanner, glad you bought Epson. Now I'm a
little jealous being that I still have a 3200

Hope you're using the twain driver and importing the output into
some graphics program rather than using Epson's stand alone stuff.
Hope you visited Epson's site to grab the latest updates if available.
Know that the scanner is new to you, but there may have been updates
since the machine was packaged. The original twain that came with
mine is nowhere near as good as the latest available (free)

Hope you're using the twain driver in pro mode.

Looked at your bridge, and it's obvious that the whites are blown
out... mine does it too. The defense is to do your pre-scan,
crop if necessary, click on the auto button, then click the
histogram and pull down the whites by about 5 points. Look at
the new histogram with the "show output" button.

Not sure what that weird effect is beside the sign... it's not
possible that you did have unsharp mask on? Or is it possible
that the effect came about from radical downsizing?

It would be nice if you'd scan that tiny portion at 2400 or better,
and put it on your site without downsizing.

Finally, I played with your pic a bit with Paint Shop Pro;
I'll try to email it to you directly, and hope that's OK.

Take care.

Ken