Old July 1st 04, 04:08 AM
Donald Qualls

Default Best developer for fuji neopan 1600 ?

Hywel Davies wrote:

Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max, at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

HC-110 or D-76 will likely give less grain than T-Max, without loss of
speed (though you're actually pushing a little to get Neopan 1600 to
1600; it's properly about 800-1000, but designed with low contrast so it
pushes well). If you can tolerate loss of speed and some loss of
acutance, Microdol-X should significantly reduce grain -- but then you
might as well shoot Tri-X or Neopan 400 and develop in conventional
processes. I've seen claims that shortening process time reduces grain,
other factors equal, which would suggest HC-110, possibly even in
Dilution A, would be the likeliest candidate. Dilution A times are
about 70% of Dilution B, in the likely case you can't find them listed
anywhere. The push to 1600 should still give a time around 4+ minutes;
I wouldn't try to go under 4 minutes for tank development because of
problems with consistency and fill/drain times relative to the total dev
time.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm