Old September 24th 17, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On Sep 23, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 2017-09-23 09:56, PeterN wrote:
On 9/23/2017 9:07 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip.

Hmm. 512 GB is quite a lot then. No issue. No cloud needed.

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my workflow,
it didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high megapixel camera.

What's high? What size raw file?

On an iPad one could easily allocate 400 GB to photography. Say 30 MB
per image. That would be 13000+ images. Say you cut that in half so
you can do lot's of roadshow editing. How long does it take to fill
6500 images that are probably worth keeping?

In photography one tends to reduce stuff carried around that is not
specific to photography. An iPad v. laptop is a no brainer.

RAW size for a D800

Image quality Image size File size*2
FX (36x24)*1
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit - 32.4 MB
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 14-bit - 41.3 MB
NEF (RAW), Compressed, 12-bit - 29.0 MB

Also, there were times I wanted to do some procession. My laptop had a
17" screen. The iPad also belongs to my wife. Every day I took the days
shooting, and downloaded it onto the Notebook, and backed up to 2
portable HDs. If I did any processing the file size increased.

....and you also have your D500.
As for me and the iPad with the X-T2 APS-C, 6000 x 4000 files I have this:

RAF (RAW) uncompressed 14-bit = 50.6 MB
RAF (RAW) lossless compressed 14-bit = 21-25 MB

JPEG, content dependant SOOC, = 10.1-15.6 MB

The iPad Pro with 512 GB on board does just fine with those files.

Savageduck