Old January 25th 04, 02:00 AM
Martin V. Cera

Default Using old b&w films (60')

Hi!
My grandfather gave me a box full of old b&w films. Most of them are
labeled "develop befor 1968". They aren't used (exposed). I tried one
of these "1968". It has got 40 ASA. I took some pictures as if it was
an normal film and tried to develop it. I used Rodinal diluted 1:40
with normal times. The result was only dark (nothing could be seen on
the film). Today I tried one "almost new" film. With expiration date
april 1981. In some pictures I was able to recognize things I
photographed. Direct light could be seen very well with excelent
contrast. Other things are very light and almost invisible. But the
film is not dark as the previous one. Now it is light. I used Rodinal
again with standard times.
Do you know how to expose and develop these films? Should I set my
camera to lower sensitivity for the expose time to be longer? Or
should I use longer developing times? Except Rodinal I could use MQ
(metholhydrochinone) or PQ (phenidolhydrochinone) developer...
M.V.C.