Old October 18th 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default LightRoom Mobile and external storage

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 18, 2017, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

Hi,

I'm trying to design a workflow for handling 20 years / 200GB of photos

What is your current workflow (storage, and software)?

As I'm on a train a lot, basic "pick and rate" on my phone would be
important with use of a PC/Mac to do retouching and keywording of the
higher rated items.

So as far as DAMs go, Lightroom seems to be the only one that can sync
MobilePC and allow some useful activity on the Mobile end.
(Though if anyone knows of any others, I'd like to know

Starting with LR-Mobile:

I know it can (on Android) handle photos stored on both the phone's
flash and the internal removable SD card.

Q1: But - can it work with assets on an external card connected via the
USB/OTG port? In other words, can I have a collection of image sets on
random SD cards all managed by one catalogue and plug the cards into the
USB port to work on them?

Q2: Failing that, does anyone know if it can handle the internal SD card
being swapped with different image sets?

The way I'd like to work is to treat my phone (and some microSD cards)
as primary storage for RAW files, rate and review, then sync via Adobe
CC to a PC/Mac with lots of storage - so at all times, I have everything
in 2 places.

If that's cockeyed and there's another way to achieve a good workflow
that's mobile centric, please do tell If this works out, I'd consider
getting an iPadPro to be the mobile device to make review and basic
editing easier.

Many thanks for any ideas/comments

Cheers, Tim

I was going through a similar thought process for a travel/road workflow. In
years past I used a MacBook Pro and external hard drives for backup, and
major transfer to my desktop Mac. In those days global transfer and cloud
services could not be relied upon in all locations. So my redundant on the
road backup was; Colorspace UDMA, Laptop, & external harddrive. Images (not
everything) I wanted for immediate online sharing, or additional backup went
to Dropbox. Since then the MBP has aged beyond capability to update to
current macOS, and will not support Adobe CC. I have retired and I cannot
justify the cost of a new MBP, (i’d rather buy new photo kit, lenses, etc.)
so I looked at the Macbook Air, Macbook, or iPad Pro.

Last year I took an overseas trip and I decided to travel light, so my only
computing device was an iPhone 6S+ (128 GB) with Lightroom Mobile. Tx from
camera to iPhone was space limited, so primary backup was to my 1 TB
Colorspace UDMA and additional phone storage to a SandiskiXpand flash drive.
They have several solutions.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

Why is this?

"User replaceable/installable hard drive/SSD ( Support up to 2TB
merchanical drive, and 1TB SSD, not compatible with Sandisk SSD.)"

https://www.sandisk.com/home

Since then I have bought a 10.5” iPad Pro (512GB). I have all the Adobe
Mobile apps installed, and Affinity Photo for iPad. I still have the Sandisk
iXpand flash to use with the iPad Pro, and the UDMA for primary on-the-road
backup. With iOS11 the file system (iCloud Drive) together with Apple iCloud
service has become a reliable additional resource, so I have additional
iCloud storage, it is cheap enough.

I think that having a bunch of different micro SD cards for different LR
collections might be more than LR Mobile could deal with. I could be wrong.

LR Mobile-LR CC syncing works very well, and for the type of shooting I am
going to do on a trip the iPad Pro, with the software I have installed, is
going to meet my travel computing needs.

LR Mobile on my iPad with synced collections.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/224ruvnwsh1sf07/LRM-1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qm92cl0msvkus2/LRM-2.png

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ipad/

...and Affinity Photo on my iPad.