Old October 11th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Microsoft bails on its Windows 10 phone platform

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| I'm not clear about what "that
| stick" is. Dislike of Metro apps?
|
| first of all, it hasn't been called metro in years.

True. I use that term deliberately to cut through
Microsoft's obfuscation. It was all Metro in Win8.
It was also RT and the apps ran in WinRT.

a lot has changed since win8 and winrt was a mistake.

Then
it was "modern apps". Then it was "universal apps".
Typical Microsoft marketing. Their official term for
the product includes a passive aggressive valorization:
Metro trinkets are not just new. They're better. They
run on more systems. (Which is actually not true,
but so what, right?)

On the bright side, few people are writing Metro apps
because 1) they're limited and 2) there's no market.

nonsense.

| photoshop elements is hardly 'similar to script-driven webpages', nor
| is it in any way a 'trinket app'.
| it's what you call 'real software'.

Yes. There are a few of those. But that's
not where it's all headed. When you can only
run things that come from the Windows Store
that means you can get a beginner graphic
editor like PS Elements,

photoshop elements is not a beginner graphic editor.

beginners would be overwhelmed with what it can do.

the point you fail to grasp is that apps on the windows store are not
what you call trinkets. many of them are *very* capable apps.

but you can't choose
from the full range, nor write it yourself. The
fact that a few corporate partners may have Win32
software in the WinStore doesn't change the
landscape.

nonsense.

| there are *significant* security benefits in running only windows store
| apps because users can't be tricked into installing malware or crapware
| from some random website.

Spoken like a true AppleSeed.

another stick up your ass.

note that microsoft has a version of windows 10 that runs *only*
windows app store apps, whereas no version of mac os has that
restriction.

now, what were you saying about freedom?

You should
like the new Microsoft direction just fine.

indeed i do.

satya is doing a *lot* of very good things at microsoft. ballmer would
have killed the company had he not been fired. oh, i mean forced to
resign.