Old June 19th 13, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
peternew[_2_]

Default Cleaning a sony digital Lens

On 2013-06-18 13:09:52 -0700, (Paul Ciszek) said:

I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges

is there a best way to clean the lens?

I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
although they seem to be a little dried out.

Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

Most camera stores (if you are lucky enough to have one) can sell you
a microfiber cloth and some fluid suitable for cleaning lenses.

Or you can buy kits on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid

The

second one contains the first one as a subset in addition to some other
handy items for the same total price, but does not have the
possibility of
free shipping.

Good advise.

I would add that a Qtip or cotton bud is a poor choice due the abrasive
quality of cotton and which has the potential of damaging lens coatings.

A blower such as a Giotto's Rocket is useful to blow moveable dust and
contaminants from the lens surface before wipe cleaning. Do not use
"canned air"! A brush also works for this task.

Then as recommended above a microfiber cloth or Pec Pads are the way to
go. Also for persistent spots a non-water fluid should be used. I
recommend Eclipse Optical Cleaner.

http://photosol.com/

Unflavored vodka or denatured alcohol will work.Just dapen part of the
cloth, and use the other part for drying. The trick is not to rub, just pat.

--
PeterN