Old January 17th 13, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Does any camera come with a laser pointer?

On Jan 16, 11:39*am, Savageduck
On 2013-01-16 08:14:56 -0800, ray carter said:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:55:25 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Peter Jason
says...
Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings and the like when the
exposure is set for pinpoint.

How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?

+1 on the tiltable screen. I've never used the one on my Pansonic G3 fo

that because I've had the need.

The problem I see with a laser pointer would be parallax. Unless it's
coming out of the center of the lens, it's going to have to compensate
for being off center.

Even with a class III Laser sight which is usually mounted as close to
the plain of the barrel as possible it has to be zeroed. Most most
pistol laser sights are zeroed at 20M, and are going to provide a 1 MOA
degree of accuracy at 100M. That is within a 1 inch circle at 100M.
Very few shooters are going to be able to hold to that degree of
accuracy. The difference for ranges of 5-30M are unlikely to fall
outside a 2 inch point of aim circle.

The primary issue remains safety, and the responsibility of any
photographer using such a targeting system at a wedding where it is
unlikely that everybody would be wearing eye protection. It is a dumb
idea.

A laser pointer is not intended for pointing at people, and folks
targeted with laser sights on a firearm have more to worry about than
permanent vision damage.

Savageduck

I'm wondering though, if a weak IR laser would produce a visible laser
spot on a subject via viewing through an EVF or LCD? If so, it might
be possible to do what the op wanted without risking any injury or
annoyance with the people he's shooting at?

What is a "weak IR laser"?
The OP is trying to "shoot from the hip" so viewing through an OVF,
EVP, or LCD isn't on his agenda.

Most laser pointers are Class IIa 1mW red or green lasers. As I noted
elsewhere a 1mW laser has the potential to produce an intensity 167
times that of the Sun on the retina. Also note that most of the laser
pointer disruptions of flights around airports were caused by idiots
using cheap laser pointers.
Firearms sights are usually Class III or IV 5mW+, so the potential for
injury is even higher.

It is worth noting that a subject targeted with a firearm laser sight
is going to have more health concerns than possible retina damage. A
wedding party is not likely to enjoy that sort of exposure because some
photographer thought it might be a good idea.

Savageduck