Old January 31st 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

Default Death of a Small Town

On Jan 31, 6:54 am, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
Colin_D wrote:
Your pics are interesting from a journalistic perspective (pun
unintentional), but the tonal gradation from that 3200 film is
shockingly bad, as is the grain, clearly visible even on the smallish
images.

I'm not the photographer, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents in too.

I disagree with you. The grain and lack of gradation give the pictures
a look which I think goes well with the subject. They have the "look"
of 1950's 35mm photography, or pre-WWII medium format.

It's nice to know that I succeeded on this level, at least.

What I disliked is the lack of cropping. For example, the picture of
the church has a large gray area in front of it. On paper, it may be
the street, on my monitor it just is a mass of gray grain. There are
no clouds in the sky ABOVE the steeple, so cropping there would make
the picture more interesting and leave nothing out.

This is a link to the full scan at 2000 DPI, 4000 just made the grain
stand out more and there was no additional discernable detail in the
image. About 4MB
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/...08%20D3200.jpg

So you see it is just a mass of gray and grain. :-)

On the whole, I think they would make a good exhibit on paper, and
with some judicious cropping, a good web display would be better.

If I had done a similar walk around a semi-derelict town and came back
with images like those, I would be deeply disappointed.

Everyone's taste is different. I found them interesting, well photographed
and the choice of film suited the subject.

Thank you.

Would Cartier-Bresson's (pardon any spelling mistakes) pictures of
Paris look as good if shot on the latest Kodak Consumer color print
film?

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog athttp://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/