Old January 16th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
frederick

Default Nikon macro lens recommendations

Troy Piggins wrote:
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.equipment.35mm.]
* Rita Berkowitz is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Troy Piggins wrote:

I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro. He
asked me for recommendations on some lenses but I only have
experience with Canons. (Please don't make this into a Nikon vs
Canon thing, I just need some advice to pass on)

It depends on what he wants to photograph. If he's making document type
copies on a stand he's be better suited to get a 60mm f/2.8D AF. It's also
good for portrait on APS-C, but is a bit too sharp. For insects it has a
lot less working distance than the 105.

He won't be making commercial type stuff, and don't think he has
a tripod. Think he's interested in insects etc after he saw a
couple of mine.

Then even longer than 105mm is better.
The Sigma 150mm f2.8 EX DG HSM macro seems to be a terrific lens, with
great user reports, and excellent (unsurpassed?) optical performance
test results on photozone.
The extra focal length gives greater working distance, HSM ring motor
means instant auto-focus override by turning the MF ring.
Price is less than a Nikkor 105, and 150mm will be better for insect shots.
He will probably need a tripod. Hopefully also at least a D80 or better
with shutter release delay option. Lesser Nikon dslrs have no shutter
release delay and/or mlu mode, and so often with macro, usable exposure
puts shutter speed in the range (~ 1/60 - 1/2 second) where mirror slap
is a real problem. Sigma 150, or other macro lens with integral tripod
mount improves this considerably.