Old January 16th 08, 01:14 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_9_]

Default Nikon macro lens recommendations

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.equipment.35mm.]
* Rita Berkowitz is quoted & my replies are inline below :
Troy Piggins wrote:

I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro. He
asked me for recommendations on some lenses but I only have
experience with Canons. (Please don't make this into a Nikon vs
Canon thing, I just need some advice to pass on)

It depends on what he wants to photograph. If he's making document type
copies on a stand he's be better suited to get a 60mm f/2.8D AF. It's also
good for portrait on APS-C, but is a bit too sharp. For insects it has a
lot less working distance than the 105.

He won't be making commercial type stuff, and don't think he has
a tripod. Think he's interested in insects etc after he saw a
couple of mine.

If he doesn't want to spend that much money, about $400 USD he can get a
105mm f/2.8D AF. It's a really nice lens and has a nice working distance
for insect. It's slightly slower in AF than the newer 105/2.8VR. But who
uses AF with macro work?

Exactly. The AF on my Canon 100mm is slow, but doesn't matter
with MF.

I'll look into that lens above. But if it's older, will it be
second-hand only?

Than you have the latest 105/2.8VR. It's also a nice lens. AF is slightly
faster than the older version and the optical and image quality are about
the same as the older version. The bokeh is slightly better on the VR
version. It's also a bit more expensive than the AF-D version. Again, if
he's only using the lens for macro he might want the older one. I keep AF
and VR off for macro work. It's a great portrait lens with sweet bokeh, but
it can be overly sharp for portrait work. It does work great optically with
a 2X TC, but AF is a bit slower and hunts more.

I haven't tried Sigma, but a lot of people love their 105. If he's not in
that much of a hurry he should be able to get a good deal on eBay. He won't
go wrong with any of the Nikkors, my favorites are the 105s.

Ok, thanks for your input.

--
Troy Piggins
Please feel free to provide constructive criticism on any photos I post. I'm