Old January 16th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default Nikon macro lens recommendations

On Jan 15, 6:58*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. *I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro. *He
asked me for recommendations on some lenses but I only have
experience with Canons. *(Please don't make this into a Nikon vs
Canon thing, I just need some advice to pass on)

At first he asked me about tubes and teleconvertors. *So I
suggested TCs are no good for macro unless you are magnifying an
existing macro setup, you lose image quality etc. *I also
suggested that he forget about tubes at this stage, try getting
used to bare macro lens. *I did mention that I have read an
acceptable and cheap macro setup is to use a 50mm lens with a
full set of Kenko tubes, although working distance is quite
small.

The lenses he was asking about we
Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

I have bought and used briefly the Sigma 105mm macro and really
liked it. *And it seems to be cheaper than both of those
he asked about, and it comes on a Nikon mount.

So I was going to suggest to him the Sigma 105mm macro, and
forget the TC and tubes for now.

Budget-wise, I am not sure. *He tends to buy toys expensive, but
I'd rather recommend something that does the job fine and is good
value for money.

Anything to add? *Better suggestions? *Pros? *Cons?

--
Troy Piggins
Please feel free to provide constructive criticism on any photos I post. *I'm

My brother's friend swears by the Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8D Micro-Nikkor
Macro Lens
http://nikonusa.com/images/products/1987_360.jpg
In Canadian dollars it costs under $500.
Helen