Old January 15th 08, 11:58 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_9_]

Default Nikon macro lens recommendations

I have a friend who wants to purchase a macro lens. I don't
think he's new to macro photography, but /is/ new to macro. He
asked me for recommendations on some lenses but I only have
experience with Canons. (Please don't make this into a Nikon vs
Canon thing, I just need some advice to pass on)

At first he asked me about tubes and teleconvertors. So I
suggested TCs are no good for macro unless you are magnifying an
existing macro setup, you lose image quality etc. I also
suggested that he forget about tubes at this stage, try getting
used to bare macro lens. I did mention that I have read an
acceptable and cheap macro setup is to use a 50mm lens with a
full set of Kenko tubes, although working distance is quite
small.

The lenses he was asking about we
Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

I have bought and used briefly the Sigma 105mm macro and really
liked it. And it seems to be cheaper than both of those
he asked about, and it comes on a Nikon mount.

So I was going to suggest to him the Sigma 105mm macro, and
forget the TC and tubes for now.

Budget-wise, I am not sure. He tends to buy toys expensive, but
I'd rather recommend something that does the job fine and is good
value for money.

Anything to add? Better suggestions? Pros? Cons?

--
Troy Piggins
Please feel free to provide constructive criticism on any photos I post. I'm