Old June 24th 04, 05:01 PM
Michael C. Smith

Default Canon EF long lens rental Florida US

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in message ...
Michael C. Smith wrote:
I'd like to rent a Canon EF long lens to photograph birds at Ding
Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA (300mm,
400mm, 500mm, or 600mm). I prefer to pick up the lens in Florida
instead of shipping it, as rental fees accumulate during the shipping
period. If you ship the lens overnight, that's at least 2 extra days
of rental (in which case a week-long rental may be more cost
effective).

What is a typical rental charge for, say, a 500mm lens?
I assume you would want insurance too.

Aperture Pro's (Miami) largest lens, a 400/2.8 L, rents for $125
daily, $500 weekly, and a $7,500 deposit. Adorama is $100 daily, $300
weekly, and $6,500.00 new. Adorama rents a 600mm/f4 (call for price).
Insurance isn't listed; thanks for the reminder.

If it is as high I think it is, and considering how wonderful
a big lens is, might iot not be better to take out a
loan and just get one? ..

SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). Need I say more? I hope to get
one some day. The Canon 400mm f/4 DO is intriguing , only 4.3
lb/1,940g, light enough for hand holding.
http://www.adorama.com/CA4004ISU.html?searchinfo=canon%2040mm%20do&item_n o=5

Is 400mm too short for birding? I can afford (monetarily and
politically) only one long lens.

On a separate note, if you never been to Ding Darling, be
aware that opportunities are hit or miss. I've been to it
a fair number of times the last couple of years and
many hours, even a full day can go by with not much.
But if it is slow at Ding, there are other wonderful
places to go too.

Roger

Thanks for you suggestions, Roger. Great images & info on your site!
--
...Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

Does anyone know a shop in southern Florida that rents?

Should no one answer, the following may help someone in the future.

http://www.harmonphoto.com/
Harmon Photo, Ft. Myers, FL doesn't rent

Companies that will rent & ship to your location:

http://www.aperturepro.com/
Aperture Professional, Miami, Florida. Miami is 3.5 hours (per Yahoo)
from from Sanibel.

http://www.carouselstudios.com
Carousel Studios, Miami, FL.

http://www.samyscamerarental.com
Samy's Camera, Los Angeles, California CA.

http://www.adorama.com
Adorama, New York, NY.

http://www.acecam.com/rmcindex.html#Rental
ACECamera manufacturer & rental links; Doug Clifford.

Thanks.